Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Goodbye to old friends

Today the world is a darker place as two of my heroes departed me. Both tragically taken from us too soon.

Although both orbited totally different worlds they encapsulated the same for me.

Graham Dilley who's name I had not spoken or heard for years, was a hero of my youth. Tall and blonde he was taken straight from the pages of a Greek classic. I suppose it is Headingly where he first came to the fore but it is also the following summers of my youth where his sporting deeds are also etched all over.

The other Steve Jobs, the absolute opposite of a heroic figure to some; especially now that Apple bestrides the world like a behemoth.
But I remember him from when he was the little man fighting the against the odds, against the mediocrity and dullness that others were so happy with. The way we see our world has been shaped by his genius and foresight.

Seemingly polar opposites, but to me both represent the need to never give up whatever the odds.

No comments: